Thursday, May 28, 2020 — On tonight’s evening address, I mentioned several ways to get or give help in Austin during the COVID-19 crisis. Here are some links and contact information to get you started.
- Map of food Central Texas Food Bank distribution locations: www.centraltexasfoodbank.org/food-assistance/get-food-now
- Austin Independent School District meal service info and pickup locations can be found at austinisd.org/covid19/meals
- CapMetro food delivery partnership with Good Apple to provide food boxes to people 55 and older or with an underlying condition. Application online for the “Stay Home, Stay Healthy Food Delivery” program: www.capmetro.org/home-delivery
- Cap Metro “help-at-home” kit delivery to MetroAccess subscribers and other vulnerable populations. capmetro.org/helpathomekits
- Donate to Central Texas Food Bank. A $25 donation provides 100 meals for neighbors in need. Go to: www.centraltexasfoodbank.org/get-involved/donate
- The City of Austin has made $15 million available to various nonprofits to make aid available to people affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Find out how to apply and how much money is available for you and your family by emailing RISE@AFSSAustin.org or calling 512-358-6318.
- Workforce Solutions Capital Area has a “Jobs Now” page that lists job openings in Central Texas. Updated daily! http://www.wfscapitalarea.com/Job-Seekers/Jobs-Now
- Southern Smoke is a non-profit offering assistance to people who’ve lost their jobs in the service industry. The application is available in English here and in Spanish here.
- The Austin Ed Fund is asking for donations to help make sure kids and families in Austin ISD have meals while schools are closed. austinedfund.org/crisis-support-fund
- Caritas of Austin is accepting donations in support of people experiencing homelessness. Make a one time or recurring gift at caritasofaustin.org/donate/give.
- Salvation Army of Austin is accepting donations of cleaning supplies. TheAmazon wish list is a great place to start.
- Foundation Communities, a local nonprofit that provides affordable housing and support services is seeking donations for its Emergency Assistance Fund. Donate at www.FoundCom.org.